What is a SoleMate?
The Girls on the Run SoleMates program provides adults (women AND men) an opportunity to raise money for Girls on the Run while training for the athletic event of their choice. SoleMates set personal goals such as participating in a 5k, marathon or triathlon to raise money for Girls on the Run of WNC. By asking friends and family to support their event training and participation with a donation to Girls on the Run, our SoleMates are champions for the hundreds of young girls who would otherwise be unable to participate in this life-enhancing, character development program. Join us today in the movement to grow strong girls here in WNC and let your love of running make a difference in the life of a girl!
Each year, Girls on the Run of WNC provides full or partial scholarships to 62% of our over 1,200 participants. Our 2015-2016 SoleMates raised over $7,600 for these scholarships!
What is the commitment?
- Choose an athletic goal for yourself. If you want to pay for your own race entry, we request you set a minimum SoleMate fundraising goal of $250. If you would like to choose a free "charity spot" for a race (these are periodically available through Girls on the Run), we sometimes request a higher minimum SoleMate fundraising goal of $500.
- Register online as a SoleMate and pay a $25 registration fee (which goes toward your overall fund raising total).
- Create your fundraising page (very simple!) explaining your desire to raise scholarship funds on behalf of GOTR of WNC, and share it with friends/family.
- Your fundraising goal must be met no later than 30 days after your event.
- There is no time obligation involved other than your own personal training to prepare for your event.
What do SoleMates get in return?
Your $25 registration fee to the SoleMates program has great benefits, including:
- Easy online registration process
- Welcome packet that includes a SoleMate technical running shirt, lots of helpful fundraising ideas, a GOTR bumper sticker, and other goodies
- Your own personal fundraising webpage
- Monthly SoleMate e-newsletter
- Access to a network of other local SoleMates on the private GOTR of WNC SoleMates Facebook Page
- Complimentary registration for the GOTR 5K events (every December & May)
- GOTR branded thank you gifts based on your final fundraising total
- The extra satisfaction and motivation of knowing you are TRAINING FOR A REASON -- to change the lives of girls across WNC!
I am ready to be a SoleMate! What’s next?
You will be asked to provide the date and name of your chosen athletic event, but if you do not have an event selected yet, you can use “undecided.” Please read the waiver carefully and be fully aware that if you do not reach the agreed upon minimum fundraising goal by 30 days after your event, the difference will be charged to the credit card number you provide at sign-up.
What if I want to create a SoleMates Team?
It's easy! When you register, simply select "I'd like to create a team" and follow the registration process. Your team members can do the same and select "I'd like to register on an existing team."
You can set a team goal and work together to raise a total of at least $250 per person.
Who do I contact if I have questions or need support?
Contact Robin Mehler, Community Outreach Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 828-713-2321.
Meet our 2016-2017 SoleMates:
Show your support for our SoleMates by visiting their fundraising pages. To view a page and make a donation to a specific individual, click on their name below:
- Mary-Ann Bolton - Race 13.1 Half Marathon on November 12, 2016
- Jim Colvin - Race 13.1 Half Marathon on November 12, 2016
- Megan Hauser - Tobacco Road Marathon on March 19, 2017
- Kimberly Hollifield - Cherokee Harvest Full Marathon in October 2017
- Yvonne Horton - Her first triathlon(!) on August 7, 2016
- Laura Ivey - Crystal Coast Half Marathon on March 4, 2017
- Sarah Knowles - Bethel Half-Marathon on October 9, 2016
- Robin Lenner - Frosty Foot 50k on January 7, 2017
- Willie McCourt - Frosty Foot 30k on January 7, 2017
- Robin Mehler - Lookout Mountain 50 Miler on December 17, 2016
- Jamie Nakamura - AVL Running Experience Half-Marathon on August 20, 2016
- Katrina Ohstrom - Fontandango 50k on March 4, 2017
- Celeste Reyes - Tryon Half Marathon on November 12, 2016
- Lizzie Sager - Lake Logan Half-Iron Distance Triathlon on August 6, 2016
- Lindsey Skidmore - Race 13.1 Half Marathon on November 12, 2016
- Mindy Smith - Georgia Death Race on April 1, 2017
- Natalie Welch - Lake Logan International Triathlon on August 6, 2016
You can make a general donation to our SoleMates campaign to show your appreciation and to help ensure all WNC girls can experience the joy of GOTR: